Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Anthropocene: The Human Epoch

I have been away for a while -- at least away from the blog.  For a time, the bright shiny thing that is Facebook was absorbing my attention.

However, I recently walked away from Facebook because of their tepid stance about the ongoing presence of offerings of violence by subscribers, particularly toward children and women.  Not that I suspect that Facebook really cares that one person has stepped away.  But I care.

I only had a score of 'friends' (mostly extended family), so even though I was fairly consistent in posting offerings about social issues and concerns, I was not exerting much in the way of influence.

More than anything, my offerings were a way of keeping an ongoing record of things about which I care.  A kind of open diary.  Of course, Facebook had the added social-media advantage of allowing me to stay digitally in touch with family and friends.  But, in the end, I felt that I would need to give up those connections so as not to be seen supporting a platform that seemed to me to increasingly being socially irresponsible.

Today I was made aware of the film (perhaps it is a series?) "Anthropocene: The Human Epoch":

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/movie/anthropocene-the-human-epoch/id1433617345

So far, I have only seen this trailer.  But it has caught my attention, as has the film maker:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Burtynsky

I suspect that I am quite late to an awareness of this Canadian and his offerings.  But better late than ever.

I am left wondering why his profile appears to be lower than David Suzuki, and apparently less-polarizing...?

No comments: